The market for plug-in electric vehicles is growing every month – and with it, the need for more places to charge. Being able to charge at work can be an important consideration for those in the market for a plug-in electric vehicle. Workplace charging fills a critical gap in PEV charging infrastructure needs by extending electric miles, building range confidence and creating second "PEV showrooms" that help increase sales and technology adoption among employees. For example, a 2013 survey of California plug-in electric vehicle drivers finds 37 percent have access to charging at work. Workplace charging is catching on as employers see its value.
Sign up to get email updates with the latest information about workplace charging and about any upcoming webinars or events.
Case Studies and Resources
- Plugging in at Work: How to Effectively Install, Share and Manage EV Charging Stations - NEW
- Case studies report: Amping up California's Workplaces: 20 case studies on plug-in electric vehicle charging at work
- 20 Case Studies on Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charging at Work
- Costs Associated With Non-Residential Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment, Factors to consider in the implementation of electric vehicle charging stations, U.S. DOE Clean Cities, November 2015
- Why Employers Should Install Workplace Charging for Plug-In Electric Vehicles
- Employer's Guide to Installing Workplace Charging for Plug-In Electric Vehicles
- How Can I get Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charging at My Workplace?
- Workplace Charging How and Why?
The PEV Collaborative is hosting a webinar series on PEVs and PEV Charging.
On October 9, 2014 industry experts and agencies/companies with interesting case studies presented about the growing PEV market, why you should install charging, the steps involved and what other properties have done to address this increasing need.
- If you are going to an event and want to promote workplace charging and the PEVC documents, feel free to make copies of the Workplace Charging Tip Card.
U.S. DOE Workplace Charging Ambassador
The PEV Collaborative is a U.S. Department of Energy Workplace Charging Challenge Ambassador. As an Ambassador, the PEV Collaborative promotes PEV charging at work by collecting successful case studies and creating employer decision guides to help organizations create succesful workplace charging programs. To learn more about the Workplace Charging Challenge and the PEV Collaborative's role as an Ambassador, click HERE.
- Vendor List, PEV Collaborative
- Advanced Energy Workplace Charging: Case Studies Case Study Videos
- Charging Equipment, GoElectricDrive
- Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Guidance Document, California Department of General Services
- Electrify your Business, Business Council on Climate Change
- EV Employer Initiative, CALSTART
- Employer Policies and Incentives Encouraging EV Adoption, CALSTART
- Plug In @ Work, Plug In America
- UC Davis Institute of Transportation Studies
- UC Los Angeles Luskin Center for Innovation
- Workplace Charging for Business, San Diego Gas and Electric
- Workplace Charging for Businesses in San Diego, California Center for Sustainable Energy
- Workplace: Employee Electric Vehicle Charging, Southern California Edison