Charging Infrastructure at Multi-unit Dwellings
The market for plug-in electric vehicles is growing every month – and with it, the need for more places to charge. To date, much has been done to accelerate installations of charging equipment in single-family homes. However, less progress has been made in multi-unit dwellings (MuDs), where 34 percent of Californians reside.
emPower the People Tools - How to Advocate for Electric Vehicle Charging at Your Property
- emPower the People - Step-by-Step Guide
- emPower Resident Survey
- My Property Profile Template
- emPower Sample Letter
Guidelines and Documents
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Guidelines for Multi-unit Dwellings
- Costs Associated With Non-Residential Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment, Factors to consider in the implementation of electric vehicle charging stations, U.S. DOE Clean Cities, November 2015
- 200 Brannan
- Broadstone Corsair - NEW
- CityFront Terrace
- Madera Apartments
- Millenium Tower
- The Elysian
- The Towers at Costa Verde
- Shelter Creek Condominiums
- Sofia Lofts
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Guide for Property Owners, Managers and Homeowner Associations of Multi-unit Dwellings
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Guide for Residents of Multi-unit Dwellings
- How Do Multi-unit Dwellings Become PEV Ready?
Survey Tools for Property Owners, Managers and HOA's
As property managers and home owner associations consider adding PEV charging to thier properties, the first step is to find out the current and future interest in PEVs from thier tenants. Below is a survey that can be administered in hardcopy form (Option 1) or via electronically (Option 2).
Option 1: Issue hardcopies of survey to tenants
- Download letter and survey template to issue to tenants.
- Edit the letter and survey to include survey deadline and indicate where tenants should submit their survey.
- Issue hardcopies of survey to each tenant (i.e. via mailbox).
- Once completed surveys are received, review and summarize the results to decide if there is a need for electric vehicle charging. Consider conducting this survey on a regular basis to gauge interest in PEVs over time.
Option 2: Send out survey electronically
The PEV Collaborative is hosting a webinar series on PEVs and PEV Charging.
On October 1, 2014, Industry experts presented about the growing PEV market, why you should install charging, the steps involved and what other properties have done to address this increasing need.
If you are going to an event and want to promote charging at MuDs and the PEVC documents, feel free to make copies of the MuD Tipcard.
- Assembly Bill 2565 - provides that for a residential lease executed, extended, or renewed after July 1, 2015, “a lessor of a dwelling shall approve a written request of a lessee to install an electric vehicle charging station at a parking space allotted for the lessee that meets the requirements of this section and complies with the lessor’s procedural approval process for modification to the property.” The law does not apply to residential properties with less than five parking spaces, properties that are subject to rent control, residential leases where no parking is provided as part of the lease, or residential properties where EV charging stations already account for at least 10% of available parking spaces.
- Senate Bill 880 - protects the rights of residents of multi-unit dwellings, affirming that "it is the policy of the state to promote, encourage, and remove obstacles to the use of electric vehicle charging stations." The legislation makes it illegal to impose any condition that "effectively prohibits or unreasonably restricts" installation of charging in an owner's designated parking space. If the charging unit is installed in a common area, the law states that certian conditions can be imposted, e.g. a $1 million home owner liability policy that names Home Owner Association as an additional insured.
Find copies of articles here that have been published in different trade magazines that address PEV charging at MuDs.
- Vive la PEV-HOA revoluation - Vision Magazine distributed by the California Association of Community Managers, Winter 2015
- "Meeting the Multi-unit PEV Charger Challenge" - Green Auto Market, April 20, 2015
- "Tips to help you get ready. Plug-In Electric Vehicles: Coming to a Garage Near You" - Vision Magazine distributed by the California Association of Community Managers, Summer 2014